Types of Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents can occur in various situations, and understanding these types can help in identifying the liable party and seeking compensation.
- Failure to Yield: Drivers not stopping for pedestrians at crosswalks.
- Turning Vehicles: Vehicles making a turn may hit pedestrians legally crossing the road.
Hit and Run Accidents
- Driver Fleeing the Scene: After hitting a pedestrian, some drivers may leave the scene without providing aid or information.
- Vehicles Reversing: Often occurring in driveways or parking lots, drivers may not see pedestrians behind them while reversing.
- Vehicles on Sidewalks: Sometimes, vehicles may lose control and end up on sidewalks, hitting pedestrians.
School Zone Accidents
- Children at Risk: School zones are supposed to be safe areas, but accidents can occur due to speeding or inattentive driving.
Common Injuries Resulting from Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrian accidents can result in severe injuries, given the lack of protection pedestrians have.
- Concussions and Traumatic Brain Injuries: Can result from the impact with a vehicle or the ground.
Fractures and Broken Bones
- Common in Legs and Arms: The impact can lead to fractures, which may require surgeries and lengthy recovery periods.
Soft Tissue Injuries
- Sprains and Contusions: Soft tissue injuries can be painful and may take time to heal.
Spinal Cord Injuries
- Potential for Paralysis: Severe impacts can damage the spinal cord, leading to permanent disabilities.
- Damage to Organs: The force of the impact can cause internal bleeding and damage to organs.
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident in Manhattan, NY, don’t hesitate to contact us at Blitz Law Group, LLP. We are here to help you navigate through this challenging time and work tirelessly to ensure you receive the justice and compensation you deserve. Remember, time is of the essence in personal injury cases, so reach out to us as soon as possible to discuss your options.
Understanding the statute of limitations for pedestrian accidents in Manhattan is crucial for anyone who has been involved in such an incident. This legal timeframe impacts your ability to seek compensation for injuries and damages sustained. Here, we’ll delve into what the statute of limitations is, its implications for your case, and how a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Manhattan, NY, from Blitz Law Group, LLP, can assist you through the process.
What is the Statute of Limitations?
- Legal Timeframe: The statute of limitations is a law that sets the maximum time after an event within which legal proceedings may be initiated.
- Varies by Case Type and Location: The specific timeframe can vary depending on the type of legal claim and the state in which the accident occurred.
Statute of Limitations for Pedestrian Accidents in Manhattan
- General Timeframe: In New York, the typical statute of limitations for personal injury cases, including pedestrian accidents, is three years from the date of the accident.
- Exceptions: There are exceptions to this rule, such as for cases involving minors or government entities, which may have different timeframes.
How the Statute of Limitations Impacts Your Case
- Loss of Right to Sue: If you do not file a lawsuit within the specified timeframe, you may lose your right to sue for compensation.
- Evidence Preservation: Filing promptly helps ensure that evidence is preserved and witnesses’ memories are fresh, which can be crucial for your case.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Knowing the statute of limitations can also be important when negotiating with insurance companies, as they may be more willing to settle if the deadline is approaching.
The Role of a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Manhattan, NY
- Case Evaluation: A lawyer from Blitz Law Group, LLP, can evaluate your case to determine if it falls within the statute of limitations.
- Guidance and Support: We can provide guidance on the best course of action and support you through the legal process.
- Negotiations and Litigation: If necessary, we can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf or represent you in court to ensure your rights are protected.
How to File an Injury Claim After Being Injured in a Pedestrian Accident
Being involved in a pedestrian accident can be a traumatic experience, resulting in severe injuries and substantial medical expenses. If you find yourself in this unfortunate situation, it’s crucial to know how to file an injury claim to seek compensation for your losses. Below is a comprehensive guide on how to proceed, with an emphasis on consulting a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Manhattan, NY, from Blitz Law Group, LLP.
Step 1: Ensure Your Safety and Seek Medical Attention
- Move to Safety: If possible, move to a safe location away from traffic to prevent further injuries.
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention: Even if your injuries seem minor, it’s important to get checked by a medical professional. Some injuries may not be immediately apparent.
Step 2: Report the Accident
- Contact the Police: Reporting the accident to the police is crucial. They will create an official accident report, which can be vital for your injury claim.
- Obtain a Copy of the Accident Report: Ensure you get a copy of the report for your records.
Step 3: Gather Information and Evidence
- Collect Contact Information: Obtain the contact and insurance information of the driver involved, as well as any witnesses.
- Take Photos: Capture photos of the accident scene, your injuries, the vehicle involved, and any traffic signals or signs nearby.
- Preserve Evidence: Keep any damaged personal belongings, as they may serve as evidence.
Step 4: Document Your Injuries and Expenses
- Keep Medical Records: Ensure you have copies of all medical records related to your injuries, including doctor’s notes, treatment plans, and medication prescriptions.
- Track Expenses: Keep a record of all expenses related to the accident, such as medical bills, transportation costs, and lost wages.
Step 5: Contact a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Consult Blitz Law Group, LLP: Reach out to the experienced team at Blitz Law Group, LLP, for a consultation.
- Understand Your Rights: We can help you understand your rights and the compensation you may be entitled to.
Step 6: Notify the At-Fault Party’s Insurance Company
- File a Claim: Notify the at-fault driver’s insurance company that you intend to file a claim. It’s advisable to do this with the assistance of your attorney.
- Avoid Providing Statements: Do not provide any statements or accept any settlement offers without consulting your lawyer.
Step 7: Negotiate a Settlement
- Evaluate Settlement Offers: With the help of your attorney, evaluate any settlement offers to ensure they cover all your expenses and losses.
- Negotiate for Fair Compensation: If the initial offer is inadequate, your lawyer will negotiate on your behalf for a fair settlement.
Step 8: Consider Legal Action if Necessary
- File a Lawsuit if Necessary: If negotiations fail to result in a fair settlement, your lawyer may advise filing a lawsuit.
- Trust in the Legal Process: Your attorney will guide you through the legal process, ensuring that your rights are protected every step of the way.
By following these steps and consulting with Blitz Law Group, LLP, you can navigate the aftermath of a pedestrian accident with confidence. We are committed to advocating for your rights and securing the compensation you deserve. Don’t navigate this challenging time alone; let us be your guide and support throughout the injury claim process.
Contact Blitz Law Group, LLP for Assistance
- Don’t Wait: Time is of the essence in pedestrian accident cases, so it’s important to act quickly.
- Expert Legal Counsel: By contacting us, you will receive expert legal counsel to ensure that your case is filed in a timely manner.
- Dedication to Your Case: We are dedicated to working tirelessly on your behalf to secure the compensation you deserve.
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident in Manhattan, don’t let time run out. Reach out to us at Blitz Law Group, LLP, and let our experienced Pedestrian Accident Lawyers help you navigate the legal landscape. We understand the complexities of these cases and are here to support you every step of the way.